I had a big night with my sister and some cousins of mine last night so I'm a little washed up today. My typing might be a little off as my brain is a little fuzzy!
So back on doctors..
Umm, I think I was talking about Vision Australia. Amazing people. I think one of the things I want to mention was the library - the Felix Library. What an awesome concept. They send out little kits with a book that has braile on it, an audio CD of the book and something to play with that goes along with the storey. Bloody fantastic! All free membership, free postage and handling, everything! I can't rave about it enough.
We had another trip to the peadiatrician (Dr T) for what he called "mongolian blue spots". Personally I don't think they were mongolian blue spots. I have absolutely no idea what they were, but they were marks on Holly's body that looked like bruises. They were on her shoulders for about a day, then they were on her chest for about another 2 days and totally dissapeared. These mongolian blue spot things are supposed to hang around for years! I have no idea what they were but they are gone now!
Opthamology was next (Dr C) she was a lovely lady. It was hard seeing Holly have her eyes pried open for them to put the drops in and then once the drops worked the dr then had to pry her eyes open to shine her light in to Holly's eyes. I don't blame Holly for not wanting the light in her eyes! The result was that she can see and she is extremely long sighted. We dont' know exactly what she can see, it is limited but at least its something. The dr said that she would like Holly to get into glasses sooner rather than later so that we can visually stimulate and reward her. We go back in August to check her vision again and investigate glasses for her.
By this time we had linked in with our early intervention service (SCS) - we were over the moon to get accepted into the one we wanted. I specifically asked for these people cause we can transfer within the company when we move and they come to us. While Holly is so little we want one-on-one care for her, we don't want her to be in a group situation when we don't know what she is capable of. The physio and the social worker came out and spent a few hours with Holly and I one morning to ascertain what specialists I thought I might need. Physio and speech are our main concerns at this stage with the thought that we'd need OT later down the track. The physio (M) is lovely. She has been coming every two weeks and shows us how to do the excercises. Its good also having M come to the house cause it means that if I need to go out I can get my mum to come down and be here and she can learn the excercises as well for when she is on grandma babysitting duty!
The latest doc was audiology. Holly has really great hearing - but we knew that anyway. The first day I held her in my arms she heard L's voice and was searching for it (very cute!). Anyway, Holly had passed her hearing screen test in hospital and this was a more detailed test. I should actually cut myself off here and say, she passes her 'asleep' test which tests the brain stem responses to sound. When she is about 12 months old they will do an 'awake' hearing test which tests her responses to sound, whether she will look towards a sound or get a fright or anything like that. She may very well fail that test cause as with her eyes, even though she can see some things and hear some things it in no way reflects that she will be able to comprehend what she is seeing or hearing.
So that, I think, for now is all the doctors she sees.
Oh no, hang on. We saw a new peadiatrician last week. One closer to where we are going to be moving to. Just so we could see if he was any good. He was OK, we'll be seeing more of him when we do eventually move.
Thats it though. Neurologist, SCS - physio & speech, opthamologist and vision australia
Oh and music. I'm not sure if I should put music in here, but I will - its my blog I guess I can put stuff wherever I feel!! :)
We go to a program called mother goose every thursday. It is such a great program. It turns out that some of the girls that I wanted to keep in contact with from my mothers group take their babies to music. We just sing songs and play with our babies really. Holly slept through the first session, was in hospital for the second session, but absolutely loved the third session. I took my mum to the last one so she could get a feel of what it was like. I think she enoyed it too. I just get really nervous around the mothers group girls. I get worried that they think I'm wierd (maybe I am!) but when I left mothers group I asked the maternal health nurse to explain to them that Holly has cerebral palsy and that their babies were all lovely and that I wans't leaving cause I didn't get along with the mothers (except for the stupid one complaining about her childs birthmark!) I actually really did want to keep a friendship up, it was more that I felt uncomfortable cause of Holly. I get worried that the mum's will think I don't like them or want to talk to them, and then I get shy - yes, me shy! I'll talk about me and my stuff in another post another day. I have to sleep - I think I got about 4 hours last night, I'm very tired!
Prue and Luke thanks for the blog. I think this blog needs to go hand in hand with another blog where each of us can speak of our admiration for you and Luke.
ReplyDeleteAmid the heartbreak,desolation and uncertainty in so many forms, what I see is your obvious acceptance and love for Holly.
The two of you have somehow managed to not be overwhelmed, to see the glass that is half full, and to deal with the plane that landed in Paris.
And I keep praying for you
Love Tim