Monday, 21 June 2010

Flat day

Had a bit of a flat day today.
Holly was being very clingy, she wouldn't sit in her chair, constantly wanted to be held so I didn't get anything done that I wanted to.
We watched a movie today. It was really good, the last scene was of a lady giving birth. I was welling up with tears. I wonder when I'll stop feeling ripped off - not about Holly this time though, about the whole experience. It was a day mixed with so many emotions. We didn't get the experience that I thought we would, instead of looking forward to something magical, we were worried about whether she was going to live. We didn't get the nice experience we were hoping for. I still don't feel like I gave birth to her. I know I did, but technically I feel like she was cut out of me. It funny, I really don't feel like I gave birth to her cause I didn't have to go through hours of labour and pain. I just went in and they cut her out. Having had the c-section, I kind of regret it. I wish I had had a natural birth. I know our circumstances were different and they needed to cut her out, but its something else that I just wish I could have done. And from now on if we have more kids the likelyhood of me having a natural birth is somewhat diminished. I spoke to the obstetrician about it not long after she was born - at the 6 week check up actually. He said I could do a natural birth but I'd need to go to a big hospital so that if something went wrong and I started to tear they could just whip me in and do an emergency c-section. I guess we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it.
I think that I miss that sense of accomplishment. I'm kind of equating it to climbing Mt Everest. I know that giving birth was going to be the hardest thing I was ever going to do, and the reward at the end was going to be that much more because of the hard work I'd put in in getting there. I feel like I cheated, like I caught a helicopter to the top or something. I still got to the top, and I got my reward, but I cheated getting there. Its just doesn't feel the same - mind you, with the shit pregnancy that I had in comparison to everyone else, I struggled just as hard through that! I'm sure that eventually I'll come to terms with it, its just hard when you see it in the movies and everything is perfect.

2 comments:

  1. One of my best friends had an emergency ceaser the first time and then her second birth was natural. fingers crossed you can do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something I *can* understand. The feeling of failure as such is no less despite going through hours of labour. In my case, I feel a lot better about it now, but its taken plenty of time. I hope that you feel better about it eventually as well and that the next pregnancy/birth are closer to what you saw in your head/dreamt

    K x

    ReplyDelete